Does the current release of the FreeSBIE scripts match the docs?

Steve D. Perkins lists at steveperkins.net
Mon Aug 22 22:21:22 CEST 2005

    I'm trying to build a custom ISO on FreeBSD 5.4, using the current
release of the FreeSBIE scripts in the ports system
(freesbie-0.0.20040207_1.tbz).  In my first couple of attempts, I used
the ncurses menu system... but the resulting ISO's failed to boot, with
error messages about not being able to find the kernel.  I'm now trying
to create the ISO using the "0-9" scripts manually, but am still having
issues.

    The documentation at "http://wiki.freesbie.org/iso_creation" says
that you can build a smaller image by adding "MINIMAL=YES" to the
"config.sh" file before running the scripts.  Apparently, this is
supposed to result in "$LOCALDIR/files/make.conf.minimal" being used
instead of "$LOCALDIR/files/make.conf" when running the script
"2.buildworld.sh".  However, this doesn't match up with the actual
content of that script.  I don't know about anyone else's system, but my
"2.buildworld.sh" script contains the following:

. ./config.sh
echo "Building world..."
sleep 1
echo "\"This may take awhile, go get some runts...\""
cd /usr/src && $MAKE buildworld $MAKEOPT

    It seems to me that this script is running make on the makefile in
"/usr/src" without consulting or doing anything at all with a
"make.conf" or "make.conf.minimal" in the
"/usr/local/share/freesbie/files" directory.  In fact, I find that
"make.conf.minimal" doesn't even exist in that directory at all!
Judging from how long the buildworld script has been running on my
system now, I think it's safe to say there's nothing "minimal" about
what it's doing.

    Is the documentation on "http://wiki.freesbie.org/iso_creation"
older than the currently released version of the FreeSBIE scripts?  On
the other hand, could the problem be that this documentation is much
NEWER? (the latest FreeSBIE scripts seem to be over a year and a half
out of date... is there a newer version coming soon that this
documentation covers?).  I haven't had any success following the
documentation so far, and am starting to get really frustrated with
trying to build an ISO.