Announce: FreeSBIE LVC is out!

Matteo Riondato matteo at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 13 20:25:39 CEST 2006

All,
	after the success of FreeSBIE GMV, I release a new ISO image
today: FreeSBIE LVC. This is the second of a series of four ISO
images: GMV, LVC, EW, and CE, with CE being hopefully FreeSBIE 2.0. As
said, LVC goes public today, while EW is planned for the end of
October and CE for the middle of November. This means that FreeSBIE
LVC *can* be considered FreeSBIE 2.0 PREBETA (while GMV could not).

The codename for this image is LVC, which stands for "Lee Van Cleef",
who played in "A few dollars more" and "The good, the bad and the
ugly". Complete information about this actor at
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001812/ .

Similarly to GMV, LVC is based on the HEAD branch of FreeBSD, so on
FreeBSD 7-CURRENT and, to be precise, as it was on
2006.10.10.12.00.00. Ports are approximately from the same date. EW
and CE, on the other hand, will be based on the RELENG_6_2 branch,
both for sources and for ports.

After having released GMV, I received lots of feedback and
suggestions. I would like to thank everybody for their support:
having fun and feeling appreciated is what make me going on with this
work. All the suggestions had been included in LVC, but this does not
mean that LVC is perfect. Remember, is "PREBETA". I say it once
again: please, test LVC and send me feedback, bug reports,
suggestions, insults, whatever. Please specify [FreeSBIE LVC] in the
subject of the mail.

Additional software and fixes are not the only news in FreeSBIE LVC.
FreeSBIE now has *cheatcodes*!
What are cheatcodes? They are a way to specify FreeSBIE options such
as language, windowmanager, ramdisks'sizes, etc, at boot time.  When
you'll boot FreeSBIE, you'll see a new menu. Follow the instructions
and you'll see what cheatcodes are about. =)
More cheatcodes will be added in EW and in CE.

FreeSBIE LVC can be downloaded from the following locations:

{ftp, http}://mirror.tomato.it/ftp/pub/Freesbie/BETA/FreeSBIE-LVC-20061010.iso (100Mbps)
http://drizzt.bsdnet.eu/freesbie/FreeSBIE-LVC-20061010.iso (80MBps)
http://core.drizzt.bsdnet.eu/freesbie/FreeSBIE-LVC-20061010.iso (24Mbps)
http://people.freebsd.org/~matteo/GMV/FreeSBIE-LVC-20061010.iso (slow,
when possible don't use this mirror, please)

Additional mirrors are much appreciated. If you decide to mirror
FreeSBIE LVC, please send me a mail with the address where it will be
available for download, so I can add it to the list of mirrors.

If you like BitTorrent:
http://torrent.freesbie.org/FreeSBIE-LVC-20061010.iso.torrent

The MD5 sum for the ISO image is:
MD5 (FreeSBIE-LVC-20061010.iso) = ea7fa4b50f5ea3f741c9fcedf4944e3a

A list of installed software follows. Please note that this is only
the list of the "main" packages and does not include their
dependencies.

abiword				editors/abiword
abiword-plugins 		editors/abiword-plugins
aircrack-ng			net-mgmt/aircrack-ng
aMule				net-p2p/amule2
arpwatch			net-mgmt/arpwatch
bacula-client			sysutils/bacula-client
bash				shells/bash
beep-media-player-esound        multimedia/beep-media-player
buffer				misc/buffer
cabextract			archivers/cabextract
cdrtools			sysutils/cdrtools
chillispot			net-mgmt/chillispot
chkrootkit			security/chkrootkit
clamav				security/clamav
cpdup				sysutils/cpdup
cpuburn				sysutils/cpuburn
crack				security/crack
cups				print/cups
curl				ftp/curl
e2fsprogs			sysutils/e2fsprogs
ekiga				net/ekiga
elinks				www/elinks
eject				sysutils/eject
emacs				editors/emacs
etherape			net-mgmt/etherape
ettercap-gtk2			net-mgmt/ettercap
evince				graphics/evince
fetchmail			mail/fetchmail
firefox				www/firefox
firewalk			security/firewalk
fluxbox				x11-wm/fluxbox
fping				net/fping
freeradius			net/freeradius
gaim				net-im/gaim
gdesklets			deskutils/gdesklets
gftp				ftp/gftp
gimp				graphics/gimp
gnuchess			games/gnuchess
gnupg				security/gnupg
gphoto2				graphics/gphoto2
gqview				graphics/gqview
grdesktop			net/grdesktop
gtkpod				audio/gtkpod
gv				print/gv
hping				net/hping
hydra				security/hydra
ike-scan			security/ike-scan
inkscape			graphics/inkscape
irssi				irc/irssi
john				security/john
kismet				net-mgmt/kismet
lighttpd			www/lighttpd
mplayer-fonts			multimedia/mplayer-fonts
mplayer				multimedia/mplayer
mutt				mail/mutt
nagios				net-mgmt/nagios
nagios-plugins			net-mgmt/nagios-plugins
nano				editors/nano
ngrep				net/ngrep
nikto				security/nikto
nmap				security/nmap
nmapfe				security/nmapfe
ntfsprogs			sysutils/ntfsprogs
ntop				net/ntop
obexapp				comms/obexapp
openvpn				security/openvpn
outguess			security/outguess
pine				mail/pine4
playmidi			audio/playmidi
progsreiserfs			sysutils/progsreiserfs
pwd_unmkdb			sysutils/pwd_unmkdb
p0f				net-mgmt/p0f
rainbowcrack			security/rainbowcrack
rkhunter			security/rkhunter
rox				x11-fm/rox-filer
rsync				net/rsync
samba				net/samba3
screen				sysutils/screen
scapy				net/scapy
scite-gtk2			editors/scite
snort				security/snort
sudo				security/sudo
thunderbird			mail/thunderbird
tightvnc			net/tightvnc
unicornscan			security/unicornscan
unrar				archivers/unrar
unzip				archivers/unzip
vim-gtk2			editors/vim
wget				ftp/wget
wipe				security/wipe
wireshark			net/wireshark
xbindkeys			x11/xbindkeys
xbindkeys_config		x11/xbindkeys_config
xchat				irc/xchat
xfce				x11-wm/xfce4
xfce4-battery-plugin		sysutils/xfce4-battery-plugin
xfce4-mixer			audio/xfce4-mixer
xfce4-netload-plugin		sysutils/xfce4-netload-plugin
xfce4-systemload-plugin		sysutils/xfce4-systemload-plugin
xfce4-xkb-plugin		deskutils/xfce4-xkb-plugin
xfsprogs			sysutils/xfsprogs
xorg-clients			x11/xorg-clients
xorg-fonts-100dpi		x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-100dpi
xorg-fonts-75dpi		x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-75dpi
xorg-fonts-encodings		x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-cyrillic
xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps		x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps
xorg-fonts-truetype		x11-fonts/xorg-fonts-truetype
xorg-server			x11-servers/xorg-server
xpdf				graphics/xpdf
xsane				graphics/xsane
zebra				net/zebra
zip				archivers/zip
zsh				shells/zsh

As said, any suggestion for other software to include is much
appreciated.

Have fun with FreeSBIE LVC!

--
Matteo Riondato