Using FreeSBIE 2.0 as platform for sysinstall

Matteo Riondato matteo at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 24 08:36:14 CET 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 05:40:42PM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
> I just had a thought, can I use FreeSBIE as a platform for running
> sysinstall?  To put it another way, I don't want to have to make a
> FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE install ISO, I've got 6.2-RELEASE on FreeSBIE, why
> not run sysinstall from that?
>
> In fact, I've tried to do what I've described.  I booted FreeSBIE and
> ran sysinstall.  It lets me run through the whole sysinstall process,
> but doesn't actually touch the disks I've partitioned, labeled, and
> installed to.
>
> Is this do-able?

I never tested it, but you may be able (I cannot assure this) to
install the system by booting FreeSBIE, launching sysinstall and
choosing FTP (or similar networking media) as your installation media.

I'm sure you cannot install FreeBSD using the FreeSBIE Live CD as
installation media.

If you try using FTP, let us know if you can finish the installation
process.

Best Regards
--
Matteo Riondato